Department of Art as Applied to Medicine

Title:  University of Toronto.  Department of Art as Applied to Medicine fonds

Date(s) of creation:  1926-1984

Physical description: 3.93  metres of textual and graphic records

Admin. history/Biographical Sketch: Established originally as the Art Service in November 1925. Name changed January 25, 1945 to Department of Art as Applied to Medicine within the Faculty of Medicine.

"Maria Wishart founded the Department of Medical Art Service Department in 1925 in the Anatomy Building (now called the McMurrich Building) at UofT. The Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Alexander Primrose, approved her appointment as Toronto's first professionally trained medical illustrator. For the next 20 years she directed the surgical and anatomical illustration work in the service department.

In 1945, Prof. Wishart founded a three-year diploma course in medical illustration, at which time the name of the Department was changed to Art as Applied to Medicine (AAM). The diploma course was in part an academic program and in part an apprenticeship. Students attended some classes with medical students but, for a good part of their time, they worked under Prof. Wishart's supervision on illustrations of gross anatomy, pathology and surgery. In addition to directing the academic program, Prof. Wishart continued to work as an illustrator, contributing many superb drawings to journal articles and books written by members of the Faculty of Medicine, including Drs. W.E. Gallie, A.B. Le Mesurier and K. MacKenzie. She also made several hundred wax models of pathological conditions and surgical techniques." More information on the history of this department is available from Biomedical Communications.


Scope and content:  General academic and administrative files including Dean's reports on departmental policy, addresses and papers presented by Prof. N. Joy as well as publications related to departmental activities.  Also includes records of Prof. Nancy Joy as director of the department mainly from the 1960s and 1970s such as correspondence, inquiries of students seeking admission, minutes and related records of the Committee of Clinical Chairmen.   Among the graphic records are original drawings done by members of the Department  including M.T. Wishart, long time director of the Department and her assistant E. Hopper.  They were done for two publications: "Surgery of the Hand" by Dr. John H. Cowen, University of Toronto Press 1939 (box/001); "The Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynaecology "by Dr. A.W. Scott and Dr. H.B. VanWyck, Philadelphia, Lea and Fabiger, 1946 (boxes /002-/006).

Access/Use: Restricted; Subject to review under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

Finding aids:  Finding aid for A1985-0010 only in Reading Room.

Related records in a different fonds:

Accruals:   Further accruals are not expected.

Corresponding accessions:   A1984-0036/A1985-0010/A1997-0018