Department of German

Title:  University of Toronto. Department of German fonds

Date(s) of creation: 1916-1972

Physical description: 0.33 metres of textual records

Admin. history/Biographical Sketch
The Department of German in the Faculty of Arts was established in 1892, with a Chair of German being established in 1901.   The teaching of German at the University, however, dates from the mid 19th century, with the appointments of Henry Van der Smissen, a graduate of 1864, as lecturer in German.   Professor Van der Smissen had been on staff of University College since 1866 and retired as head of the Department of German in 1913.

Scope and content: 
Records include bound copies of minutes of meetings of the Combined Departments of German (1916-1959, 1966-1972), memoranda, correspondence, examination results, minutes of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures (1961-1963, 1967).

Access/Use: Restricted. Subject to review under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Finding aids: None

Related records in a different fonds: none

Accruals:   Further accruals are expected.

Corresponding accessions: A1973-0042, A1974-0025