Office of the Chief Librarian

Title:  University of Toronto.  Office of the Chief Librarian fonds

Date(s) of creation:  1890 -

 Physical description:  79.02+ metres of textual, graphic and architectural records

 Admin. history/Biographical Sketch: 

The notion of a library for the new University of King’s College (the predecessor to the University of Toronto) is credited to its founder and first president, Rev. Dr. John Strachan.  The first full-time University librarian was Reverend John Small, appointed by the Senate in 1852.  In 1857 the Library Committee was allocated £4,000 for the purchase of books from the firm of Richard Allen in London, England.  By the time Alexander Lorimer was appointed Librarian in 1854, the Library held nearly 6, 000 volumes. He held the position until 1868   In 1892, Hugh Hornby Langton, University Registrar and son of the former Chancellor of the University, John Langton, became  University Librarian.  Langton had the task of continuing to rebuild the Library’s collection following the fire of 1890 in a new building opened in October 1892. Langton’s successor in 1923, William Stewart Wallace, was also an historian and divided his time between the Library and the Department of History.  Following his retirement in 1954, the title changed to "Chief Librarian".  Chief Librarians since 1954 include  Robert Blackburn  (1954-1981), Marilyn Sharrow (1982-1985) and Carole Moore (1986- ).

 

Scope and content:  Records for this fonds document the activities of the Office of the Chief Librarian and its predecessor offices for the University of Toronto Library located on the St. George Campus.  Includes administrative and operational files including general correspondence, invoices and other financial records documenting book purchases following the fire of 1890, subject files of records relating to various academic and administrative offices, committees, task forces, etc.; minutes of Library senior staff meetings; files of the Associate Librarian, Collection Development; architectural drawings of Sigmund Samuel wing and Robarts Research Library; slides of construction of Robarts Library. 

Access/Use: Restricted.  Subject to review under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

Finding aids: Finding aids available in Reading Room. For graphic materials see also Guide to Graphic Records, 1965-1985. For architectural records see also Guide to Architectural Records.

Related records in a different fonds:

 

 

Accruals:   Further accruals are expected.

   Corresponding accessions: A1965-0006/  A1965-0012/  A1967-0001/  A1967-0010/  A1968-0001/  A1968-0008/  A1968-0014/  A1969-0001/  A1969-0002/  A1970-0003/  A1970-0022/  A1971-0002/  A1971-0015/  A1971-0017/  A1972-0011/  A1972-0014/  A1972-0047/  A1973-0030/  A1973-0032/  A1973-0043/  A1973-0057/  A1976-0017/  A1977-0001/  A1977-0012/  A1978-0010/  A1978-0042/  A1979-0039/  A1981-0050/  A1982-0035/  A1985-0006/  A1985-0034/  A1986-0011/  A1986-0012/  A1986-0039/  A1986-0047/  A1987-0006/  A1988-0036/  A1989-0015/  A1991-0019/  A1990-0024/  A1993-0021/  A1996-0006/  A1999-0007/ A2000-0003/  A2000-0004/  A2001-0023/  A2002-0015, A2004-0003.