Skip to main content
Spring 2022 Research Appointment Procedures
Research Inquiry Procedures
- All researchers must begin their research inquiry by accessing our services virtually or via telephone;
- If it is determined that you require in-person access to UTARMS collections, a staff member will assist you in booking an appointment on our internal booking system.
- Staff will determine if materials need to be pulled in advance of your visit. We may be limited in our ability to retrieve additional items the day of your visit.
- Appointments will be limited to two 3 hour visits, 9AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-4:00PM, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Because of restrictions on our Reading Room capacity, please do not sign up for more than 3 appointments at a time.
- Each researcher must book their own appointment. If you are working with a partner, kindly ensure you each book an individual appointment for the preferred time.
When You Visit
- Archives staff will confirm your research visit day and time slot, as well as your request for archival material prior to your visit. Please let staff know if you have accessibility requirements either prior to or during your visit.
- The University, including the Libraries and the University Archives, is keeping its masking policies in place until at least June 30, 2022.
- Please note: we ask that you wear a medical-grade face mask instead a cloth mask. We will supply medical-grade face masks to those who arrive wearing cloth masks.
- U of T Students, Staff and Faculty must enter Robarts Library from the St. George Street entrance and show their UCheck and identification to Library staff at the screening checkpoint. They may then come up the escalators, and enter the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library via the temporary front entrance.
- External/non-UofT Researchers should arrive at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library from the side entrance at the top of the stairs facing St. George Street (120 St. George Street). A UTARMS’ staff member will meet you at the entrance to let you in the building. You must show your completed UCheck Visitor’s Form and proof of full vaccination.
- *NEW*: Please leave all outer wear, bags, binders, and folders in the lockers at the second floor entrance. You will be provided with a key to the locker. Paper, pencils, phones, laptops and tablets are permitted in the Reading Room.
- Clear plastic bags are available to carry these items into the Reading Room; personal effects taken into the Reading Room, including notebooks and binders, will be inspected as readers exit the Library.
- Researchers must stay home if they are not feeling well. Please reschedule your appointment if you have COVID-19 symptoms, which can be reviewed using the Province of Ontario’s Self Assessment Tool.