- The Archives' Reading Room is open Tuesday to Friday, 9am-4:45pm. The Reading Room is closed on Mondays.
- The Reading Room will be closed Friday, June 30th.
- The Reading Room will be closed August 21-September 5, to allow staff to work on special projects and get ready for the Fall semester.
- Researchers are welcome to visit us to begin their research anytime the Reading Room is open, or they can begin with an inquiry by accessing our services virtually or via telephone;
- Phone: 416-978-5344
- Staff can help determine if materials need to be pulled in advance of your visit as some material is held offsite. We may be limited in our ability to retrieve additional items the day of your visit.
When You Visit
- To ensure that we are able to continue offering reading room services - including research appointments - we strongly encourage researchers to wear medical grade face masks to protect against COVID-19.
- Researchers must stay home if they are not feeling well. Please reschedule your appointment if you have COVID-19 symptoms, which can be reviewed using the Province of Ontario’s Self Assessment Tool.
Researchers can access the Archives via the stairs at the corner of St. George & Harbord Streets. Enter the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library from the side entrance at the top of the stairs on the left (not the revolving doors).
Accessible entrance (no stairs):
- Enter Robarts Library from the street-level St. George Street entrance and scan T-Card at the screening checkpoint (U of T students, staff and faculty), or inform staff that you have an appointment at the Archives (external/non-UofT Researchers).
- Keep right, and continue straight pass the Information Commons computers and then take the escalators or elevators to get to the 2nd floor.
- From the elevators: exit the elevator, go through the gates and turn left towards the other set of gates. Once through the second set of gates, turn right and proceed towards the Fisher Library. To the right of the steps, there is a ramp.
- From the escalators: proceed through the gates, turn right, and proceed towards the Fisher Library. To the right of the steps, there is a ramp.
- Please let us know if you would prefer to have a UTARMS staff member meet you at the street-level entrance of Robarts Library and accompany you to the Fisher Library.
Please leave all outer wear, bags, binders, and folders in the lockers at the second floor entrance. You will be provided with a key to the locker. Paper, pencils, phones, laptops and tablets are permitted in the Reading Room.
- Clear plastic bags are available to carry these items into the Reading Room; personal effects taken into the Reading Room, including notebooks and binders, will be inspected as readers exit the Library.