Research Inquiry Procedures
- All researchers must begin their research inquiry by accessing our services virtually or via telephone;
- Phone: 416-978-5344
- If it is determined that you require in-person access to UTARMS collections, a staff member will assist you in booking an appointment on our internal booking system.
- Staff will determine if materials need to be pulled in advance of your visit. We may be limited in our ability to retrieve additional items the day of your visit.
- Appointments are available Tuesday to Friday, 9AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-4:00PM. Because of restrictions on our Reading Room capacity, please do not sign up for more than 3 appointments at a time.
- Each researcher must book their own appointment. If you are working with a partner, kindly ensure you each book an individual appointment for the preferred time.
When You Visit
- Archives staff will confirm your research visit day and time slot, as well as your request for archival material prior to your visit. Please let staff know if you have accessibility requirements either prior to or during your visit.
- To ensure that we are able to continue offering reading room services - including research appointments - we strongly encourage researchers to wear medical grade face masks to protect against COVID-19.
Researchers with appointments can access the Archives via the stairs at the corner of St. George & Harbord Streets. Enter the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library from the side entrance at the top of the stairs on the left (not the revolving doors).
Accessible entrance (no stairs):
- Enter Robarts Library from the street-level St. George Street entrance and scan T-Card at the screening checkpoint (U of T students, staff and faculty), or inform staff that you have an appointment at the Archives (external/non-UofT Researchers).
- Keep right, and continue straight pass the Information Commons computers and then take the escalators or elevators to get to the 2nd floor.
- From the elevators: exit the elevator, go through the gates and turn left towards the other set of gates. Once through the second set of gates, turn right and proceed towards the Fisher Library. To the right of the steps, there is a ramp.
- From the escalators: proceed through the gates, turn right, and proceed towards the Fisher Library. To the right of the steps, there is a ramp.
- Please let us know if you would prefer to have a UTARMS staff member meet you at the street-level entrance of Robarts Library and accompany you to the Fisher Library.
Please leave all outer wear, bags, binders, and folders in the lockers at the second floor entrance. You will be provided with a key to the locker. Paper, pencils, phones, laptops and tablets are permitted in the Reading Room.
- Clear plastic bags are available to carry these items into the Reading Room; personal effects taken into the Reading Room, including notebooks and binders, will be inspected as readers exit the Library.
Researchers must stay home if they are not feeling well. Please reschedule your appointment if you have COVID-19 symptoms, which can be reviewed using the Province of Ontario’s Self Assessment Tool.