The University of Toronto Board of Governors was established in 1906 following the implementation of the University of Toronto Act, 1906 and the bicameral system of governance. It was responsible for the “government, conduct, management and control of the University and of University College, and of the property, revenues, business and affairs,…”.
Prior to 1906 the financial and administrative activities of the University were overseen by, first, the University of King’s College council (1827-1850), the Senate (1850-1866), then by the Finance Committee of the Senate (1866-1878), the Board of Management (1878-1884), and the Board of Trustees (i.e. 1884-1906).
The Board of Governors was merged with the Senate in July, 1972 following the passing of the University of Toronto Act of 1971 and the establishment of a unicameral system of governance.
- King's College Council. Letter book, memoranda (incoming and outgoing correspondence), 1839-1850
- King's College Council. Minutes, 1828-1842, 1849
- King's College Council. Orders-in-Council, 1853-1939
- Upper Canada College. Council minutes, 1850-1853
- Upper Canada College. Letter books, 1878-1887
- University of Toronto. Orders-in-Council and Government Letters, 1850-1882
- University of Toronto. Board. Reports, 1878-1893
- University of Toronto. Endowment Board. Letter book, 1850-1852
- University of Toronto. Endowment Board. Minute books, 1850-1874
- University of Toronto. Board of Management minutes, No. 1-2, 1878-1884
- University of Toronto. Board of Trustees minutes, No. 3-12, 1884-1906
- University of Toronto. Board of Trustees. Executive committee minutes, 1904-1906
- Auditor's Report to the Board of Governors on Capital and Income Accounts, 1896-1903
- University of Toronto. Board of Trustees / Board of Governors, Senate, and Standing Commiteees Membership; 1901-1971
- University of Toronto. Board of Governors. By-laws,1906-1956
- General By-Laws of the Governors of the University of Toronto, 1907
- Royal Ontario Museum. By-laws, 1912-1914
- University of Toronto. Board of Trustees / Board of Governors. Agenda books, No. 1-37, 1904-1947
- University of Toronto. Board of Governors. Minutes, No. 1-30, 1906-1955
- University of Toronto. Board of Governors. Property committee. Minutes, 1906-1921
- University of Toronto. Board of Governors. Finance committee. Minutes, 1907-1929
- Estimates of the University of Toronto, 1903-1947
- Details of Salaries report, 1924-1928 and 1928-1933
Sir Robert Falconer (1867-1943) was President of the University from 1907 to 1932. The University Archives, with the help of the Internet Archives, are undertaking a digitization project to make more readily available his correspondence files, beginning in 1913 through the First World War. This project is in progress and more will be added in the coming months.
- Browse & search all files A-Z by title
- By box [Accession A1967-0007]:
- /027: Correspondence A - Close [1913-1914]
- /028: Correspondence Co – G [1913-1914]
- /029: Correspondence H – L [1913-1914]
- /030: Correspondence M [1913-1914]
- /031: Correspondence N – S [1913-1914]
- /032: Correspondence T – Z; Subject files A – Z [1913-1914]
- /033: Correspondence A –D [1914-1915]
- /034: Correspondence E – L [1914-1915]
Mary Quayle Innis (1899-1972) was an economist, writer, editor, and academic administrator. She was married to political economist Harold Innis from 1921 until his death in 1952.
Her diaries, part of the Innis Family fonds, have been digitized thanks to support from the University of Toronto Libraries.
This scrapbook features letters, newspaper clippings, printed articles and photographs relating to the construction of the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hill, Ontario. It was presented to David Moffat Dunlap by his mother, Christmas 1934.